Cap Haitien, Haiti
Facts about Haiti:
1. More than 10% of Haitian children die before age five.
2. Haiti has the highest incidence of HIV/AIDS in the Western Hemisphere. One in 50 people are infected.
3. Because of both violence and AIDS, Haiti has the highest percentage of orphans of any country in the Western Hemisphere. Before the 2010 earthquake, the United Nations estimated there were 430,000 orphans.
4. Haitians have the lowest caloric intake in the Americas, which has led to chronic and often fatal diseases. An estimated 25-40% of children under five suffer chronic malnutrition.
5. The life expectancy for Haiti is low: 50 years for men and 53 years for women.
6. Over 40% of the population is under 14 years old, creating a high dependency ratio.